Welcome to the start of a regular column at casa.org - the Education Round-Up! Every week, the education team will curate a selection of educational content from around the vocal music community. From articles to webinars
This week, we're playing catch-up a little bit with podcasts, sharing a few interesting articles from the last few weeks, and unveiling an amazing new book that a cappella educators are definitely going to want to check out!
Have a suggestion about additions? Any upcoming educational opportunities you'd like shared? Send a message to [email protected] and we'll make sure it makes the next Round-Up!
- On Justin Glodin's Aca-Education podcast, Betsy Stambach-Fuller discusses community outreach and building your group's name, something that will be increasingly important in the upcoming year. Listen now or check the episode out on Acaville Radio at 7pm EST on Thursdays, and Sundays at 8am and 8pm.
- This week on Counterpoint with Deke Sharon and Rob Dietz, an extended conversation with rockstar choral composer, Eric Whitacre!
- On the most recent episode of the production-focused Headroom podcast, Kyle Howard and Ricky Jabarin talk to Ted Trembinski, a recording engineer/producer based in Los Angeles, CA who has engineered for pro groups like Pentatonix, Citizen Queen, DCappella, and more.
Methods and Resources for Vocal Music, Choir, and A Cappella during COVID-19 by Amy Malkoff on the AEA Website.
- Teaching Music Through Performance in Contemporary A Cappella edited by Deke Sharon, J.D. Frizzell, and Marc Silverberg, is the newest edition to the Teaching Music series by GIA Publications. The book contains teaching guides for 82 legally published a cappella arrangements in the contemporary style, as well as vocal jazz, barbershop, doo-wop, and folk. The books also contains chapters on vocal pedagogy, preparing for competitions, emotional expression in singing, and an introduction for those who are unfamiliar with the style. A definite resource for anyone looking to improve their skills and teach others!
- Did you miss the Barbershop Harmony Society's Virtual Harmony University in July? Never fear. Through the end of August, you can access all (90+!) of the elective classes for one (low) fee.
- Just announced: Curated by Dr. Marc Silverberg, Acaville Radio announced A Cappella Masterclass, a series of classes on a variety of a cappella topics, recorded by some of the finest names in a cappella!