SoJam 2022 Scholastic Competition Submission
Friday, November 4, 2022 | The Carolina Theatre - Durham, NC
Dates to Remember
- Monday, August 15, 2022: Themes and format for competition announced
- Sunday, September 11, 2022: Competition submissions due by 9pm EST
- Sunday, October 2: SoJam 2022 competitors announced
- Friday, November 4, 2022: SoJam 2022 Scholastic Competition
Questions? Concerns? Contact Lindsay, our Competition Coordinator: [email protected].
Format & Theme
Groups are eligible to apply for the SoJam 2022 Competition if they are made up entirely of full-time students OR are a recognized student group affiliated with a high school, college, or university and adhere to their school's student group bylaws. All questions about this rule should be directed to the SoJam Competition Coordinator.
Theme: Rise and Shine
Format: One round, 9 minute time limit
FINALLY we are back together at CASA’s flagship festival! To celebrate this, we want to see the best of the best on what your group has been working on. What does it mean to your group to show up together and shine bright, even as the world continues to feel dark at times?
In this year’s competition, props will be allowed UNLESS they in any way interfere with microphones or any part of The Carolina Theatre (looking at you, gold paint on palms of hands). Props must be provided by your group, not be so large as to cause any chaos, and not cause any mess or need for clean up between groups.
- 1st Place
- 2nd Place
- 3rd Place
- Best Soloist
- Best Vocal Percussion
- Best Arrangement
- Best Visual Performance
- Best Execution of Theme(s)
**Please note that only CURRENT group members will be eligible for special awards.
We want to see your group at this year’s competition! How to submit:
- Make a video (3-5 minutes)
- Your group singing 2 stylistically contrasting songs (can be song fragments)
- Entries must consist of vocal music only
- Video must be a live performance and consist of a recent iteration of your group that showcases what we might expect at SoJam 2022. Past performances and videos featuring former group members are acceptable given the time frame for submission.
- Post-Pandemic Note: We are mindful that many of you have not had “regular” years and rehearsals in some time. We expect that your submission videos will be submitted in good faith; older videos are acceptable if necessary.
- Purchase all of your group's all-access passes for SoJam 2022. There are no exceptions to this; your group passes must be purchased to be considered for the scholastic competition.
- Upload the video to YouTube, make it “unlisted,” and upload the link with the rest of your submission in the form on this page by Sunday, September 11, 2022 at 9pm EST.
In order to be considered for the SoJam 2022 Scholastic Competition ALL group members must purchase All Access Passes. No exceptions.
A diverse selection of a cappella judges, experts, and enthusiasts will serve on the Selection Committee and will choose the top groups they would like to see perform in the Scholastic Competition. Neither the Competition Judges nor the SoJam producers are part of the Selection Committee to ensure as fair a competition process as possible.
Interested in a scholarship for your group? Click here to learn more and apply by September 7.