SoJam 2021 Scholastic Competition Submission
Friday, November 5, 2021 | The Carolina Theatre - Durham, NC
Dates to Remember
- September 12, 2021: Competition submissions due @ midnight
- September 26, 2021: SoJam 2021 competitors announced
- October 17, 2021: Group profiles, pictures and set information due
- Friday, November 5, 2021: SoJam 2021 Competition
Questions? Concerns? Contact email@example.com.
Groups are eligible to apply for the SoJam 2021 Competition if they are made up entirely of full-time students OR are a recognized student group affiliated with a high school, college, or university and adhere to their school's student group bylaws. All questions about this rule should be directed to the SoJam Competition Coordinator.
Time: 10 minutes max
This year, our competition will be LIVE AND IN-PERSON! We will have one round consisting of 10 minute performances. You may structure your time any way you would like, using the theme growth as your guide.
We want to see your group at this year’s competition!
How to submit:
- Make a video (5-7 minutes)
- Your group singing a song or songs (can be song fragments)
- You may sing anything you like, but see notes re: the competition moving to virtual format unexpectedly.
- Entries must consist of vocal music only
- Video can be a recorded or live performance and consist of a recent iteration of your group that showcases what we might expect at SoJam 2021, to the best of your ability. Past performances and videos featuring former group members are acceptable given the time frame for submission and all that has happened in 2020.
- Purchase all of your group's all-access passes for SoJam 2021.
- Upload the video to YouTube, make it “unlisted,” and upload the link with the rest of your submission by Sunday, September 12, 2021 at midnight.
In order to be considered for the SoJam 2021 Scholastic Competition ALL group members must purchase All Access Passes. No exceptions.
A diverse selection of a cappella judges, experts, and enthusiasts will serve on the Selection Committee for SoJam 2021 and will choose the top groups they would like to see perform in the Scholastic Competition. Neither the Competition Judges nor the SoJam producers are part of the Selection Committee to ensure as fair a competition process as possible.
Please note that CASA is monitoring the ongoing COVID-19 situation closely and will make changes to this event as necessary to keep everyone involved in this event as safe as possible. With that said, we do encourage each individual group to make choices about their travel based on health guidelines and transmission rates in their particular geographical area.
For groups that choose to remain masked during the live competition, there will be no points deduction taken for sound affected by this health choice.
Should the competition be moved to virtual format OR your group be suddenly unexpectedly unable to attend the in-person competition due to COVID complications, your submission video will also serve as your competition entry OR you may choose to submit a new video, max 7 minutes.
With that in mind, you may want to consider 1. Having growth as a theme to your submission video and 2. Having part of your competition set included in your submission video. These items are not mandatory; if you choose to not use growth as a theme for your submission and submission is used in lieu of in-person competition, your group will simply not be eligible for the “best execution of theme” special award.
During the competition, the judges will have the opportunity to award any of the following special awards:
- Best execution of theme
- Outstanding solo
- Outstanding arrangement
- Outstanding vocal percussion
- Outstanding choreo/visual effect
- Excellence in creativity